Thursday, February 14, 2019

Let's Brew Founders Porter!

Let's Brew It! - Founders Porter Clone Recipe


Maybe not now or even this weekend but soon I hope to brew this. As laid out in a previous post, my New Years resolution is consistency. To brew small handful of recipes multiple times until I hone my system and process so that every batch of any given recipe tastes just like the one before.

But it is (still) freaking freezing outside! We've come off multiple weeks of winter weather warnings, advisories and polar vortexes. And there is no end in sight.

I've boxed myself into a corner however. I have been cast in a play in our local community theatre. I am in rehearsals for Glengarry Glen Ross and I will portray George Aaronow, the character played by Alan Arkin in the movie version. Our Stage Manager, knowing that I make beer, cornered me into making 5 gallons of something for the opening night cast party. I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to make and it falls right into line with my New Years Resolution.

Number one on that resolution list was a Porter. It only follows that the cast and crew of Glengarry Glen Ross will be sipping on... Coffee (Is For Closers) Porter! If you don't get the reference watch the movie or at least Google it.

With that, here is the recipe I had planned on making all along. A robust Porter which I hope ends up being a clone of my favorite Porter from Founders Brewing in Grand Rapids, Michigan. (I don't plan on adding any coffee whatsoever but don't tell my cast mates)


The recipe comes from an email sent by Jeremy Kosmicki, head brewer at Founders Brewing Company. The recipe above was constructed from the information contained in the email. I played around in Beersmith 3 with the percentages and other data provided until I came up with something that fit his description. I am really looking forward to bringing this one to life. Jeremy's email follows...

We use a large percentage of specialty grains in this one… try about 10% Chcolate Malt, 7% Munich, 5% Carapils, and 3% Crystal Dark. I also throw in a little bit of black malt for a slightly burnt character. Mash in around 155-degrees and target and OG between 17 and 18 Plato. We use Nugget hops for bittering and Willamette and Crystal for flavor/finishing hops, targeting 45 IBUs. Ferment with an American Yeast and it should terminate between 5 and 6 Plato, leaving you with 6.5% ABV and a full bodies robust Porter. Good Luck, hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jeremy Kosmicki
Head Brewer
FBC




No comments:

Post a Comment