Friday, January 25, 2019

End of the Road!

In 1979 I was going to school at the University of Michigan ~GO BLUE!~ Dearborn campus.

I was in my third year but since day 1 I was involved in the school's radio club. There was no broadcast curriculum at that time but I found myself spending so much time building up this club organization that I knew I had to do something about it. So I left UofM-Dearborn without graduating and enrolled in the nearby Specs Howard School of Broadcast Arts not too far down the road.


After completing the 6 month course I was immediately tossed into the world of broadcast radio. And when I say immediately I mean I was on the phone with my first employer arranging a job interview while the commencement speaker at our graduation was still talking. That was on a Wednesday, my interview was two days later on Friday and I was on the air in Bad Axe Michigan 130 miles away.

I was there at WLEW for just 18 months when I ran across a want-ad in Radio And Records Magazine for an opening in nearby Saginaw, Michigan 66 miles to the west. Little did I know when I drove to Saginaw that I was taking a first step into a very long career at one radio station.

A lot has happened in my 40 years in radio. I have met stars, sports figures and politicians. I have interacted with tens of thousands of our listeners. Given away tens of thousands of dollars in cash and prizes during various contests. Helped collect truck loads of relief goods for those in need both near and far. Made lifelong friends and close connections and it all comes to an end in just a few months.

Right now, I can't say I'm going to miss it. Maybe later I will feel that way but I've honestly had my fill. It's time to let someone else drive the bus. Now I can spend more time making beer. I can now grow more than just a small square-foot garden. And oh, did I say can spend more time making beer!


No comments:

Post a Comment