Saturday, August 31, 2019

Guinness 200th Anniversary


I am about 2 years late to this birthday party. The 200th anniversary of Guinness being exported to the United States of America was October of 1817.

I found a six pack while shopping at Oppermann's Cork 'n' Ale in Saginaw, Michigan. Oppermann's is arguably one of the best beer and wine stores in my local area. I can spend a good hour or more just browsing.  As usual, I went in for one thing and by the time I left I needed a cart to carry it all. I was on my way to the check out counter when I spied a label I had not seen before. Guinness 200th Anniversary Export Stout!

As their story goes an order for several hogsheads was ordered from the U.S. in 1817. When Guinness decided to commemorate the occasion in 2017 they went back to their log books and discovered that the recipe was slightly different. There was no roasted barley which Guinness is known for. Instead they used black patent malt which in itself was rather special because black patent was nearly a brand new malt in 1817. 

The first thing you notice on the label is that this a 6% ABV beer. Compared to Guinness draught which is 4.2%. Then there is the color of the head. Everyone who has quaffed a Guinness draught knows the head is very light, almost white in color while the beer itself while still very dark is not as black as draught. This one is a creamy tan color. The aroma is roasted coffee and chocolate. You know you are not in for your average Guinness experience right away. The taste is much more roasty and complex than the draught version but still smooth. 

20 or more years ago I drank Guinness Draught all the time. It was one of the more "exotic" choices on the shelves. With the boom of craft breweries and more imports than ever available, Guinness had dropped off of my radar. This however has put them right back up there. I can't wait to hunt down Extra Stout (5.6%), Foreign Extra Stout (7.5%) and... cross my fingers... Antwerpen Stout (8%).

It pays to take your time and dig around the backs of the shelves when shopping for beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment