Monday, June 24, 2019

1880 Whitbread Porter 1.1




This aim of this brew session was to get the previous 1880 Whitbread Porter, which I really liked the first time around, to have just a bit more malt backbone. So a few changes were made to achieve that goal. I added some Roasted Barley. I mashed a few degrees higher than before which should give more body to the beer. And I used a different yeast which is supposed to give a marmalade character found in many English pub ales.

One other change to the making of the beer itself was that I used a different yeast starter making technique called the Shaken Not Stirred method which I wrote about in the last post. Oh, and I also made a tweak in how I heated my strike water.

The recipe is very similar to the previous version:
However looking at it now I wonder why I increased the black malt from 12 oz to 1 lb? And if that was a mistake should the roasted barley also have been 12 oz? The yeast I used was Imperial Pub A09 and I mashed at 154 F. 

I can see right now that I am going to have start taking more detailed notes and paying better attention to details.

No comments:

Post a Comment